- Dates & Rates
- Enquiry Form
Glacier Fjords Kayaking
Explore the stunning natural landscapes of Iceland’s wilderness on this glacier fjords kayaking adventure. This is the perfect trip for those kayakers who yearn for a challenging trip and the exhilaration of the arctic landscape.
Even the most dedicated kayakers appreciate a cosy bed at night so this trip combines 4 days exploring the fjord’s around Iceland’s stunning Hornstrandir Nature Reserve with nights in comfortable accommodation with delicious hearty meals.
- Kayaking through the stunning Hornstrandir Nature Reserve
- Stay off the grid in a repurposed farmhouse in Kviar
- Night time saunas to relax sore and tired muscles
- Visit Hesteyrarfjörður, an old whaling station
- Visit the seal colony in Sópandi
The first day is packed with activity as you move from Ísafjörður harbour to Hesteyri in Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. Accommodations will be in the Old Doctors House in an abandoned village. It’s a cosy cabin with a great meal waiting at the end of the day. But before you get to that meal, there’s an exploratory paddle to get your first look at the birds, seals, and rich ecology of the reserve while you get to know your kayak.
Day two takes you across the Hesteyrarfjörður and Veiðileysufjörður fjords on your way to the farmhouse in Kviar. This is a wonderful chance to see white tailed eagles as well as whales. The farmhouse was built in 1921 and recently repurposed into a ski lodge. You’ll have the chance to spend two nights there, enjoying the rustic simplicity that characterized early 20th century farm life in Iceland.
On the third day, you’ll log up to 20 kilometres in the kayak as you enjoy sights like Lónafjörður Fjord. It’s considered by many to be the most beautiful area in all of Iceland because it’s completely unspoilt and has no human presence. Nearby, you’ll visit the seal colony in Sópandi. The final day is a paddle back to Ísafjörður, which you’ll do on your own, with the professional guides on the boat nearby.
This is a phenomenal way to see Iceland and get some fabulous long paddles in on your next adventure holiday. Enquire today to learn more.
Departure at 16:00 from Ísafjörður harbour where we take the passenger ferry Bjarnarnes to Hesteyri in Hornstrandir Nature Reserve. There we´ll bring our personal equipment to the Old Doctor’s House where we will sleep the first night. We’ll go on an exploratory paddle into the fjord to enjoy nature to the fullest. Birds, seals and rich history is around every corner. First destination is the old ruins of a whaling station in Hesteyrarfjörður, a short distance from Hesteyri and continue into the fjord and get to know our boats. Nice dinner in the Doctor’s House.
After a hearty breakfast, we pack our boats and start the voyage of the day to Kvíar Farmhouse in Kvíadalur Valley. The route will take us along spectacular coastline and across the fjords of Hesteyrarfjörður and Veiðileysufjörður. There is a good chance to see both whales and white tailed eagles in the cliffs along the coast. We make landing on the beach beneath the farmhouse in Kvíar and make ourself at home. The farmhouse is the only house in the valley and was built in 1921 and lived in until the family moved away in 1948 seeking easier life in Ísafjörður. We´ll have a nice dinner and head for the warm and cozy sauna that’s situated next to the house.
Distance: 15 km.
We leave most of the gear in the farmhouse and go for a beautiful paddle into Lónafjörður Fjord, which by many people is the most beautiful fjord in Iceland. Totally unspoiled with no sign of human presence. The fjord is a haven for birds and a huge seal colony can be found in the small bay of Sópandi. We’ll follow the whole coastline and enjoy a long day paddling. Back to the farmhouse for sauna to sooth sore muscles and tasteful dinner.
Distance: 18-20 km.
Boat pickup in the morning from Kvíar and transport to Ísafjörður. You’ll make that journey on your own with our staff on the boat. Before arriving to harbour, you should ask the crew if you want a transfer to our café with your gear. It’s only 5 minutes walk if you’re travelling light. The trip ends there with a lunch that is included. Please tell the staff that you’re ending a kayking trip with us and they will take care of you.
- Thermal underwear, at least two sets of tops.
- Wool or fleece thermal mid layer.
- Non cotton hiking pants.
- Waterproof and breathable pants.
- Wool/fleece hat.
- One pair of gloves.
- 2 pairs thick wool/synthetic socks.
- Light shoes to wear in the evenings
- At least two dry bags for your personal gear.
- Paddling gloves or mittens. It can be cold on the water and warm fingers are a must!
- Kayak shoes/sandals or boots. There is a great selection out there and people´s preferences are very different. Thin neoprene socks and sandals/Crocks, neoprene paddling shoes or paddling boots will all work fine.
- Dark sun glasses.
- Sunscreen / after sun cream.
- Swim suit and towel for the sauna in Kvíar.
- Binoculars is nice to have for watching wildlife.
- Personal medical kit to include personal medication and i.e. band aids, throat lozenges, lip salves, sea-sickness tablets etc. Don’t forget regular medication you may need (e.g. Asthma, bring your inhaler, even if you do not always need it).
- 1 litre water bottle.
- Don’t forget your camera!
We supply all paddling gear and clothing. Feel free to bring your own if you have it available. With your personal gear, you´re guaranteed that it fits perfectly and is comfortable. We recommend good dry pants with ankle rubber cuffs or 3mm neoprene bibs. Top, preferable with hood and arm rubber cuffs. Full dry suit is for sure best but can be pretty warm and cumbersome on sunny days but great to have if things get rough. Footwear should preferably be neoprene shoes high up on the ankle with thick soles, or neoprene boots. Neoprene gloves, mittens or poagies to keep the hands warm.
I love kayaking but I’m not much of a camping person. So this trip seems perfect for me. Do I need to bring sleeping bag and a mattress?
No you don’t. We supply sleeping bags at both locations where we overnight. And there are beds and mattresses too.
- 3-6 September 2017
- 10 -14 September 2017
- 17- 20 September 2017
Contact us for 2018 dates.
Price: 134,900 ISK
- Boat ride into the Nature Reserve and back
- All meals except breakfast on day 1
- Three nights accommodation in houses
- Professional guide
- Transfers to and from Ísafjörður airport (for groups of four or more)
- All activities described in the itinerary
- Travel to and from Ísafjörður, Iceland unless specifically mentioned in itinerary.
- Personal medical insurance
- Personal equipment
The operator for this great adventure is a fully licensed adventure guiding company based in the heart of the Westfjords of Iceland.
The founders have always recognized the great potential of adventure tourism surrounding their home, yet little was being done to encourage it. They wanted to let people enjoy their home environment in the same way they had done since they were young.
The company was created in 2006 and focuses on both short day trips for everyone and exclusive expeditions to remote corners in the Arctic. It is operated by sailors, climbers, skiers, and sea kayakers that find their inspiration in the unique wilderness that surrounds them. We love that all their guides are local Icelanders and good friends that have designed each trip to operate in full harmony with nature. The company only hires guides with thorough knowledge in backcountry skiing, sea kayaking, hiking and that have great respect for the natural environment.
Glacier Fjords Kayaking
- Trip Code: AWA362
- Dates: Aug /Sept
- Price: 134,900 ISK
- Depart: Ísafjörður, Iceland
- Arrive: Ísafjörður, Iceland
- Length: 4 days
- Adventure: Glacier fjords kayaking around Hornstrandir Nature Reserve