- Dates & Rates
- Enquiry Form
Iceland Ski Lodge Adventure
This Iceland ski adventure is the perfect combination of rustic simplicity and exhilaration. Spend six days enjoying world class backcountry skiing in Iceland followed by cosy dinners by the fire each night.
In the mornings, you’ll use a speedboat or Zodiac to get to various locations around Kvíar. Once at your destination the group will trek up the mountain before skiing down to the water where you’ll boat back to the lodge – gorgeously nestled in the centre of Hornstrandir Nature Reserve.
- Explore un-skied territory around Mt. Tröllafell (Troll Mountain)
- Spend six nights in an old farmhouse, built in the 1920’s and recently converted to a ski lodge
- Experience what simple farm life was like in Iceland during the early part of the 20th century
- Pick mussels on the beach to bring back to the lodge for dinner
- Nightly saunas to relax your tired muscles
- Discover Rangali, one of Iceland’s most beautiful fjordscapes
The adventure begins in Ísafjörður where you’ll board a speedboat headed for Kvíar. But your first stop isn’t the lodge, it’s the slopes. Be prepared to board the boat dressed and ready to ski as your guides will search for good snow on the way. That first night’s dinner will be a well-deserved treat. The next day you’ll have a ton of options for backcountry ski locations. You can check out the remarkable view over Hornvik Bay or take the peaks of Snokur and Breiðuskarðahnjúkur.
On the third day you’ll leave the speedboat behind and head out on a Zodiac. Enjoy Veiðileysufjörður and Lónafjörður Fjord. The next day you’ll get to spend the entire day exploring Hrafnfjörður, or Raven’s Fjord. There are some incredibly smooth runs here as well as the option to ski something really steep – the west face of Hattarfell. But be warned, it’s only been done once before.
The week ends with runs around Höfðaströnd Beach and Mt. Tröllafell where there are plenty of un-skied areas. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can make some first descents and head home with some awesome stories of Iceland’s slopes.
Step back in time with a stay at this rustic ski lodge and enjoy the simple life while you challenge yourself on some of Iceland’s most magnificent slopes. Enquire today to learn more.
Departure after lunch on our speedboat Bjarnarnes from the harbour in Ísafjörður. Our destination is Kvíar, where we plan to spend few hours searching for good snow and going over some safety issues with the guide. You should eat well and dress accordingly before getting on board the speed boat and keep your ski gear ready. Well deserved dinner will be ready when the group comes off the mountain to the farmhouse.
A short boat ride will take us to the head of Lónafjörður Fjord where we shoulder our packs and with skins on, we have many options. Either head to Rangali and skin up Rangalaskarð Pass where we get a god view over Hornvík Bay on the North side, or up from Miðkjós and skin up to the peaks of Snókur and Breiðuskarðahnjúkur for some beautiful ski runs. We take a boat ride back to Kvíar where a great meal awaits us. We might spend half an hour on the beach picking mussels (fr. moules) for starter before heading back. We´ll light up the sauna to relax sore muscles.
After a hearty breakfast we get going on the big Zodiac to Veiðileysufjörður where we plan to ski over to Lónafjörður Fjord. We make at least two long runs that day and end in Rangali, one of the most beautiful fjordscapes in Iceland. We end with a boat ride back to Kvíar Lodge for a well deserved dinner and drinks.
We plan to spend the whole day exploring the mountains in Hrafnfjörður (e. Raven’s Fjord). The head of the fjord holds some amazing cruising grounds with smooth runs all the way from the tops. The highlights are from the top of Hvítserkur and Mt. Bláfell and from the pass between Bláfell and Mt. Hattarfell. For those that want something really steep, there is an option to ski the West face of Hattarfell. Only been done once before.
On the last full day we plan to make a short boat ride over to Höfðaströnd Beach and skin up to the top of Mt. Tröllafell (e. Troll Mountain) with a mixture of steep couloirs and open runs. There is a lot of un-skied territory on that side that we can also look at and make some nice first descents.
Our passenger boat arrives early for a pickup and transfer back to Ísafjörður, where we get ready for a some skiing in the vicinity of town. There are many options for a traverse or steep couloirs very close to town.
We also encourage you to stay an extra night in Ísafjörður and maybe ski one more day in the surrounding mountains.
Please note: This plan is just to give an example. Since we have a fast boat, we can change it as we please depending on where the best snow is and what people want to do. There are still a lot of un-skied lines that are perfect to explore on this trip.
- Skis, shoes, poles and skins. Make sure the glue on the skins is good. If wearing new boots, make sure you have tried them out few times to see if the fit properly. Blisters are never fun.
- Avalanche gear (beacon, shovel and probe). It´s a must to carry all three items. We have few beacons and shovels that you can rent for small fee. Just ask us before leaving home.
- Thermal underwear, at least two sets of shirts. Wool or synthetic. No cotton!
- Wool or fleece thermal mid layer, take two thin layers instead of one thick one.
- Waterproof and breathable pants and jacket.
- Thermal jacket (down or fiber) optional.
- Wool / fleece hat.
- Two pairs of gloves and one pair of mittens.
- 3 to 4 pairs thick wool / synthetic skiing socks (not too thick).
- Casual clothes to wear in the evenings.
- Slippers or crocks to wear inside.
- Soft hiking boots.
- Sleeping bag is provided.
- Soft travel bag (no hard suitcases).
- Dark sun glasses.
- Sunscreen / after sun cream.
- Swim suit and towel for the sauna.
- Backpack. 30-40L is the right size. Make sure it has ski straps.
- Personal medical kit to include personal medication and i.e. band aids, throat lozenges, lip salves, sea-sickness tablets etc. Don’t forget regular medication you may need (e.g. Asthma, bring your inhaler, even if you do not always need it).
- 1 litre water bottle.
- Small thermos.
- Don’t forget your camera!
- 23 April 2018
- 30 April 2018
- 7 May 2018
- 14 May 2018
- 21 May 2018
- 28 May 2018
Price: ISK 259,000
- Airport transfers in Isafjordur for guests arriving on the day of departure
- All food
- Accommodation in Kvíar Lodge
- Boat transport for skiing. It can be a mixture of our speedboat Bjarnarnes and a Zodiac
- Transportation to and from the Kvíar Lodge.
- Professional guiding
- Travel to and from Ísafjörður, Iceland unless specifically mentioned in itinerary.
- Personal medical insurance
- Personal equipment
The operator for this great adventure is a fully licensed adventure guiding company based in the heart of the Westfjords of Iceland.
The founders have always recognized the great potential of adventure tourism surrounding their home, yet little was being done to encourage it. They wanted to let people enjoy their home environment in the same way they had done since they were young.
The company was created in 2006 and focuses on both short day trips for everyone and exclusive expeditions to remote corners in the Arctic. It is operated by sailors, climbers, skiers, and sea kayakers that find their inspiration in the unique wilderness that surrounds them. We love that all their guides are local Icelanders and good friends that have designed each trip to operate in full harmony with nature. They have years of experience in all sorts of outdoor activities in Iceland and know the Westfjords like the back of their hand. The company only hires guides with thorough knowledge in backcountry skiing, sea kayaking, hiking and that have great respect for the natural environment.
Iceland Ski Lodge Adventure
- Trip Code: AWA361
- Dates: Weekly departures April & May
- Price: ISK 259,000
- Depart: Ísafjörður, Iceland
- Arrive: Ísafjörður, Iceland
- Length: 6 days
- Adventure: Six days of world class backcountry skiing in remote Iceland