- Trip Notes
- Dates & Rates
- Enquiry Form
Sail the Canary Islands – Sail, train and explore
Sixty nautical miles from the coast of Africa is the UNESCO World Heritage site of Lanzarote. This gorgeous piece of planet Earth is a biosphere protected by rather rigid planning controls – ensuring that it remains the true gem of the Canary Islands.
This is a low mileage adventure whose aim isn’t so much to get somewhere as to slow down and fully enjoy the journey. You’ll sail, train and explore stopping ashore each day of this eight day sailing adventure while enjoying relaxing days onboard.
Your sailing vessel is a 60′ ex-around-the-world sailing yacht. Everyone in the group will be an active crew member learning sailing skills from two amazing and highly experienced instructors. If you’re interested, RYA qualifications are also available.
This adventure doesn’t require previous sailing experience. You’ll earn your sea legs with as much or as little instruction as you care for. It’s a great experience for a novice sailor or a fantastic winter getaway.
- Exploring the remote and stunning island of La Graciosa with it’s golden beaches
- sailing alongside towering volcanic cliffs through crystal clear blue water
- Watching the sun set each night as you sit on deck with a nice cold beer or glass of wine
- Drinking cocktails in an underground tunnel of Los Jameos del Agua
- Feeling the warm sun and warm wind as you cruise around the beautiful Canary Islands
- Spending time on an island that has it’s own artistic director and enjoying it’s upmarket marina and amazing collection of restaurant and bars
- Feasting on Spanish dishes that have been influenced by dozens of ancient cultures and sipping exotic new wines
- Exploring the almost perfect town of Caleta del Sebo
- Discovering the protected area of Papagoya Bay in the Monumento Natural de Los Aiache
This week includes deserted beaches, volcanic planes, rocky coves, campfires on shore, sea kayaking, swimming with tropic fish, and the most relaxing vibe you could wish for. With these most ideal sailing conditions you’ll never want to leave.
Once a stopover for explorers on their way to the Americas, the Canary Islands still maintain the same natural grace and beauty as they did hundreds of years ago – truly a voyage not to be missed.
Enquire now to reserve your berth.
Sail with us for a week this winter in the UNESCO biosphere reserve that is Lanzarote, just 60nm off the coast of Africa.
Lanzarote has its own artistic director, Cesar Manrique, and he has ensured that this island remains beautiful even as it has developed. It is quite unlike its neighbours. We’ll meet up in Puerto Calero, the upmarket marina with a great collection of bars and restaurants. A full safety brief comes first and then we’ll set sail northwards toward Arrecife with its lovely Mediterranean-style promenade and sandy beaches. This is just a short sail and allows everyone to get accustomed to the yacht and develop their sailing skills. From there, we may head up to La Graciosa, a stunning volcanic island just 1.5nm north of Lanzarote. Accessible only by boat, we’ll probably spend a bit of time here allowing everyone to try its famous beaches and visit Caleta del Sebo, it’s almost too perfect town.
From here, we sail south, down Lanzarote’s west coast. Along the way, we have a beautiful vista of rocky coves, deserted beaches and volcanic plains. Out destination though will be the stunning Papagoya bay in the protected area called the Monumento Natural de Los Ajaches. These beaches are some of the most beautiful you will ever see. We will anchor here, get out the kayak and tender, and swim and fish in the warm waters as we watch the sun go down. From Papagayo, there’s more sailing as we round Lanzarote’s southern tip.
KEY FACTS & FIGURES
- 7th – 13th February 2016
- 14th – 20th February 2016
Price from: 795 GBP per person
What is included
- 6 nights, 7 days aboard a 60′ ex round the world race yacht.
- Two full-time instructors on board, offering as much sailing instruction as you want.
- Use of tender, sea kayak, tent and bikes.
- All on-board food.
- Full foul weather kit and life-jackets
- Small group dynamic – max. 8 crew.
- RYA qualifications available.
We love this sailing company’s ethos – to help people do three things: sail, train and explore. They are passionate about enabling people to experience life out on the open ocean, building sailing skills and exploring some beautiful countries.
After years of training people to become professional sailors, and having covered thousands of miles between them, the company Founders realised that so many people had dreamt of setting off across an ocean, but hadn’t the skills, the boat or crew to make those dreams come true. The company now runs expeditions on a specialised 60’ yacht to some of the most exciting places out there – often largely inaccessible from land.
With no previous sailing experience required, the two instructors will guide you every step of the way as you develop your sailing skills, maybe even earning an RYA qualification during the week. Exploring on land as they go is just as important and the bikes and a kayak mean you can head off and enjoy everything there is to see along the route.
Sail the Canary Islands
- Trip Code: AWA283
- Dates: 7th – 13th Feb and 14th – 20th Feb 2016
- Price: 795 GBP per person
- Start: Lanzarote
- End: Lanzarote
- Length: 6 nights
- Adventure: One week yacht sailing around Lanzarote, the gem of the Canary Islands, which combines a perfect mix of warm sun, beautiful landscapes and ideal sailing conditions.