VOYAGE 1 2017/18 : Uruguay – Falkland Islands
If you are looking for an extraordinary journey and true adventure then this is the trip for you.
Voyage 1: Uruguay – Falkland Islands
FROM: Montevideo, UR, 17h00 01-11-2017
TO: Falkland Islands, UK, 09h00 15-11-2017
1,000 nautical miles
4/6 person cabin cost € 1.125 p.p.
2 person cabin cost € 1.425 p.p.
Apply to take part at the bottom of this page. There’s an option to combine it with Voyage 2 to include Antarctica.
This sailing voyage starts in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay or Piriapolis, east of Montevideo with a connection by bus. The port of of embarkation will be announced a few days before departure on this website.
The Bay of Montevideo forms a natural harbour, the nation’s largest and one of the largest in the Southern Cone, and the finest natural port in the region. Various streams criss-cross the town and empty into the Bay of Montevideo. Montevideo is the largest city, the capital, and the chief port of Uruguay. The settlement was established in 1726 by Bruno Mauricio de Zabala.
An ideal voyage to experience life on board a first class traditional tall ship and get a taste of ocean sailing, this voyage is also a good combination with the Antarctica expeditions (Voyage 2) that is planned after this voyage. A special ‘combination fare’ is available for Voyage 1 and 2.
Montevideo ( Uruguay) – Port Stanley (Falkland Islands, United Kingdom)
The final leg before the start of a new Antarctic Season goes from Montevideo (or Piriapolis, please see above) to Stanley.
The crew will welcome all new sailors on board and everybody will be assigned to the watch system. After about 15 days and a little bit over 1000 miles the ship is expected in Port Stanley on the Falkland Islands.
The Falkland Islands (the Argentine call it Islas Malvinas) are an archipelago in the South Atlantic Ocean, located about 250 nautical miles (460 km; 290 mi) from the coast of mainland South America.
The archipelago, consisting of East Falkland, West Falkland and 776 lesser islands, is a self-governing British Overseas Territory. The capital, Stanley, is on East Falkland. Ever since the re-establishment of British rule in 1833, Argentina has claimed sovereignty.
The Falkland Islands have a rich history embracing maritime trade, missionary links, Darwinian discoveries and participation in the two World Wars. Links with sealers, whalers, explorers and South American indigenous people have helped to shape the culture, as well as the natural environment of today’s Falklands.
From fossils to geological features, historic buildings to shipwrecks, reminders of the past can be found everywhere in the Islands. The Falkland Island Museum in Stanley is an excellent starting point to gain an appreciation of Island life, past and present.
After arrival in Port Stanley you have a couple of days to spend on the Falklands before your return flight. For suggestions on accommodation please have a look at http://falklandislands.com. It is possible to stay a few nights extra on board the tall ship on a bed& breakfast basis for a surcharge.
It is also a real sailing trip that involves the sailing between your destinations.
During the many sailing days, you will be part of the watch system, fulfilling sailing duties on board: steering, lookout and sail handling. You will also enjoy the lecture program put together by the crew for the whole trip. Some subjects covered during these talks are about the rigging, the lines, the different sails, navigation concepts and rope work.
How to Book
How to Book
• Bookings will be accepted by the ship at July 11th 2016 from 12.00 hrs CEST and processed in order of receipt.
• Any bookings received before this time will not be processed
• You must complete an Another World Adventures Enquiry Form and we will send you the new season booking form and refer you to the crew office of the operator to submit your booking request directly.
• Please note. The expeditions sail in remote areas with limited medical possibilities. It is important to be in a good physical condition to enjoy your expedition fully
• Please keep in mind that after medical approval of your booking your reservation is definite and a cancellation fee will apply. The ship requires a deposit of 30% after confirmation.
• It is possible to make an optional reservation for two weeks. Definite reservations received on 11th July 2016 are treated with priority, optional reservations confirmed based on availability.
TO REQUEST A BOOKING FORM PLEASE MAKE AN ENQUIRY BELOW