Explore a mystical land of incredible natural beauty and rare wildlife on this Sabah Adventure tour. With its collection of exotic animals, ancient traditions, hot springs, tribal villages, loveable orangutans and incredible views from the summit of Mt Kinabalu, Sabah has something for everyone.
This adventure tour through Sabah Borneo has something for everyone. Come enjoy a mystical land of rare wildlife and incredible natural beauty. Hot springs, exotic animals, ancient traditions, lovable orangutans, tribal villages, and the most amazing views are awaiting you.
You’ll experience the very best of Borneo on this trip. Climb Mt. Kinabalu, share laughs with your local village hosts, watch the elusive sea turtles on Turtle Beach as they lay their eggs, and relax in beautiful hot springs.
- Trek through the steamy Kinabatangan rainforest
- Watch giant turtles lay their eggs on the famous Turtle Beach
- Hear infamous mountain myths from your hosts during a village home-stay
- Play with mischievous orangutans at Sepilok
- See the sun rise over Southeast Asia from the top of the magnificent Mt. Kinabalu
- Completely let go and relax in the Poring Hot Springs
- Enjoy a home-stay cooking lesson in locale cuisine – and then enjoy the cuisine to your heart’s content
- Take a wildlife cruise through Dusun at dawn
- Visit ancient Chinese temples
- Marvel at incredible views of the ocean, the bays, from mountain tops, and among dense jungle rainforest.
The adventure begins in the capital city of Kota Kinabalu and its full power from day one. You can explore the city a bit – taking in museums and the culture of city life – before heading out to your first home-stay and then on to the heights of Mt. Kinabalu. You’ll visit the regions conservation project, MESCOT, which helps local villages by providing environmental education.
From there you’ll explore the jungle by boat and at night let yourself be lulled to sleep by the sounds of the wild hornbills and macaques. There will be other jungle excursions as you visit the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, the Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC), the monkey sanctuary in Labuk Bay, and other organizations working to improve life for both humans and wildlife.
Group sizes range from one to sixteen and all fitness levels are welcome. You’ll be amazed at what you learn and experience during these twelve days and you’ll return home believing that an adventure through Borneo is a must for everyone.
Let your imagination soar on this Borneo Sabah adventure and enquire today.
Why We Love This Adventure
- Experience next-level vistas from the top of Mt Kinabalu climb on a two-day climb that will really get the heart pumping
- Witness nature at its most beautiful with a night on Turtle island, watching mother turtles come ashore to lay their eggs
- Visits the Orangutan sanctuary to spend some special time in the company of these 'men of the forest'
Explore a mystical land of incredible natural beauty and rare wildlife on this Sabah Adventure tour. With its collection of exotic animals, ancient traditions, hot springs, tribal villages, loveable orangutans and incredible views, Sabah has something for everyone.
Experience the very best of this part of Borneo – climbing Mt Kinabalu, watching elusive sea turtles lay their eggs upon Turtle Beach and sharing laughs with local village hosts – every minute of this incredible adventure will stay with you for life.
This Sabah adventure tour through the Borneo wilderness will truly capture your imagination. Climb Mt Kinabalu and visit Sepilok along the way.
Day 1 Kota Kinabalu
Experience the frontier charm of Kota Kinabalu, the capital city of Sabah, sandwiched between palm oil plantations and the sultry South China Sea. If arriving early, why not venture to the Sabah Museum and check out the impressive collection of tribal artifacts on display.
ACCOM: HOTEL – 1
Day 2 Dusun Village
Learn about the spiritual, economic and social ties that locals have with Mt Kinabalu on a village homestay. Spend a night in traditional accommodation, which is nestled in the shadow of this imposing mountain.
ACCOM: HOMESTAY – 1
Days 3-4 Mt Kinabalu
Fuelled by fresh mountain air and stunning views, set off on an energetic Mt Kinabalu climb. It’s a challenging ascent but there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy Kinabalu’s remarkable flora and fauna along the way.
Days 5-6 Poring Hot Springs
Wake early to catch sunrise at the summit of Mt Kinabalu – admire the jungles of Borneo in one direction and the South China Sea in the other. Enjoy a well-deserved soak in the Japanese-style Poring Hot Springs – believed to have healing properties for the skin.
ACCOM: GUESTHOUSE – 2
Day 7 Kinabatangan River
Travel into the steamy rainforest of Kinabatangan. Learn how the locals contribute to the region’s conservation at MESCOT, a project that provides villagers with environmental education. Explore the jungle by boat and spend the night in huts amid wild orangutans, hornbills and macaques.
ACCOM: JUNGLE LODGE – 1
Day 8 Sandakan
Embark on another jungle excursion, this time learning about the medicinal properties of different plants, before donning an apron for a traditional cooking class. Then, make tracks to the busy city of Sandakan, home to historic Chinese temples and an island-studded bay.
ACCOM: HOTEL – 1
Day 9 Turtle Island
Pass by fishing villages on a speedboat ride to Turtle Island. Be touched by the sight of giant green turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs.
ACCOM: CHALET – 1
Day 10 Sepilok Orangutan Reserve
The soulful eyes of Borneo’s famous creatures will melt hearts on a visit to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. Learn about conservation on an optional tour of the Rainforest Discovery Centre (RDC) or check out the cheeky proboscis monkeys at a sanctuary in Labuk Bay.
ACCOM: GUESTHOUSE – 1
Days 11-12 Kota Kinabalu
Fly back to Kota Kinabalu and perhaps cap off this colourful Sabah adventure with a celebration dinner.
ACCOM: GUESTHOUSE – 1
PriceFrom GBP £1349
- Tanak Nabalu – Orchard and Hill trek
- Tanak Nabalu – Cultural Show
Mt Kinabalu climb
- Kinabatangan River – Night jungle walk
- Kinabatangan River – Sunset wildlife boat trip
- Kinabatangan River – Dawn Wildlife Cruise
For the full list of included activities please make an enquiry and we’ll send full details over to you.
What's Not included
Please request full details
Trip Duration12 days
Start LocationKota Kinabalu, Malaysia
End LocationKota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Average Group SizeBetween 1 and 16
Chalet (1 night), Homestay (1 night), Hostel (4 nights), Hotel (3 nights), Jungle Lodge (1 night), Resort (1 night)
Private Mini van , Longtail boat , Plane
This Trip is Suitable For
This trip has a physical rating by the operator of 4 out of 5. Get in touch to find out more about what this means and what to expect.
Theme: Explorer & Wildlife
For the full trip notes please make an enquiry and we’ll send them right away to help you decide if this is the perfect trip for you.
Frequently Asked QuestionsHow tough is the Mt Kinabalu climb?
The Mt Kinabalu trek is very challenging, including an altitude of more than 2,800 metres and an early morning to summit in the dark, so we recommend a good level of fitness to be able to enjoy this unforgettable climb.Are there any packing restrictions?
The maximum luggage allowance for the internal flight is 15kg. Excess luggage will incur extra fees to be paid to the airline. We recommend packing light anyway – it means less to carry!Do I need to pack anything special?
It’s recommended that you pack some specific items for this trip so please take a look at the ‘what to take’ section of the trip notes when you enquire
Dates & Availability
- 31 Mar 2018 – 11 Apr 2018
- 07 Apr 2018 – 18 Apr 2018
- 14 Apr 2018 – 25 Apr 2018
- 21 Apr 2018 – 02 May 2018
- 28 Apr 2018 – 09 May 2018
- 05 May 2018 – 16 May 2018
- 12 May 2018 – 23 Feb 2018
- 19 May 2018 – 30 May 2018
- 26 May 2018 – 06 Jun 2018
- 09 Jun 2018 – 20 Jun 2018
- 16 Jun 2018 – 27 Jun 2018
- 23 Jun 2018 – 04 Jul 2018
- 30 Jun 2018 – 11 Jul 2018
- 07 Jul 2018 – 18 Jul 2018
- 14 Jul 2018 – 25 Jul 2018
- 21 Jul 2018 – 01 Aug 2018
- 04 Aug 2018 – 15 Aug 2018
- 11 Aug 2018 – 22 Aug 2018
- 01 Sep 2018 – 12 Sep 2018
- 15 Sep 2018 – 26 Sep 2018
- 29 Sep 2018 – 10 Oct 2018
- 13 Oct 2018 – 24 Oct 2018
- 27 Oct 2018 – 07 Nov 2018
- 10 Nov 2018 – 21 Nov 2018
- 24 Nov 2018 – 05 Dec 2018
- 08 Dec 2018 – 19 Dec 2018
- 15 Dec 2018 – 26 Dec 2018
- 22 Dec 2018 – 02 Dec 2018
This trip can be tailor made for your perfect travel dates. Please make a booking enquiry for more information.
We love this operator for the freedom and flexibility they give travellers to get off the tourist trails and really experience local cultures. Their style of small group travel is perfect for solo travellers, couples or small groups of friends and their grassroots style of travel seeks to have a positive impact on the communities they visit.
They use local leaders, local accommodation & transport and support local community projects, ensuring sustainability is at the centre of everything they do.
In addition, they expect their staff and travellers to demonstrate the principles of responsible travel – respecting people, cultures and local environments; in the distribution of wealth; in good will and cross-cultural sharing; and in contributing to sustainable development.
Make a Booking
Get full details to book this trip.
Ask a Question
Ask a question about this trip.
Add this trip to your bucket list.