5 Fun Facts about Antarctica
Original post: Another World Adventures
5 facts we love about Antarctica
- Antarctica has only one ATM machine. Well, actually it has two but since maintenance is performed only once every two years, one machine serves mainly as a backup. Employees sent out to service the machines in the summer have to have a full health check up in advance in case the weather turns, they can’t get back out and have to stay for the season.
- Antarctica is home to the Antarctica midge, which at 2-6mm long is the largest terrestrial only creature native to the continent.
- Antarctica is also home to both the heaviest (Emperor Penguin) and the fastest (Gentoo Penguin) of all sea birds.
4. The snow in Antarctica is mostly so hard and flat that it reflects sound as well as light. Researchers have heard human voices talking as much as one mile (1.6 km) away.
5. It is estimated that the ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica contain 69% of the world’s freshwater.
Fancy visiting Antarctica to see for yourself? You can sail to this incredible continent on a historic tall ship in 2021/2022. Berths are extremely limited so don’t delay. Perfect for nature and wildlife lovers .. and snap happy photographers!
For further information, please contact us as we’d love to chat with you to find out what you’re looking for in a sail voyage so we can match you with the perfect ship and route
Sail from Montevideo, Uruguay via South Georgia on a tall ship Antarctica expedition where you are guest crew
Hi I’m Larissa, a Co-Founder of Another World Adventures. Welcome to my blog Adventure365 where I curate a weekly pick of the best adventure travel writing and storytelling from around the web and share original stories from our team and adventure community. Think unusual destinations, expeditions, slow, solo and sustainable travel and epic journeys! Enjoy!More about me