Souks, nomadic culture, pyramids, Nile crossing, temples, tombs and deserts ... this trip has it all on a deep dive into the cultural life and hidden treasures of Sudan
A fascinating journey following in the footsteps of ancient civilisations, taking you through beautiful desert scenery and into the Nile Valley to see some incredible ancient sites and experience the unique Nubian culture in Sudan.
This journey starts in the capital city of Khartoum, home to many museums, markets and the popular weekly Nuba wrestling competition, a highlight of the week for many locals in Khartoum.
You’ll cross the Nubian Desert in search of the lost pyramids and temples of the Nile Valley; en-route we visit various historical temples. The Meroe Pyramids are the most concentrated pyramid complex in the Nile valley. Get to experience a true desert camp with some creature comforts thrown in like private verandas that boast stunning views of the pyramids. You’ll head to Karima for more pyramids and temples before driving back to Khartoum for our last evening. Most departures also include the Friday whirling dervish ceremony in Khartoum.
Note: The daily itinerary for this tour may vary from time to time, occasionally operating in the opposite direction (Karima first, finishing with Meroe) with all the same sites visited, just in a different order. A 3 day camping extension can also be added to discover more of this little visited country.
Why you'll love this adventure
- Fascinating small group adventure to discover Sudan
- Rich in diverse and wild natural environments from the Nile to the Bayuda and Nubian Deserts
- Temples, souks, chai houses, tombs, pyramids and much more packed into this great journey
22 January 2021
31 January 2021
18 February 2021
27 February 2021
25 February 2021
6 March 2021
12 March 2021
21 March 2021
25 March 2021
3 April 2021
2 April 2021
11 April 2021
14 October 2021
23 October 2021
29 October 2021
7 November 2021
26 November 2021
5 December 2021
9 December 2021
18 December 2021
30 December 2021
8 January 2022
27 January 2022
5 February 2022
18 February 2022
27 February 2022
4 March 2022
13 March 2022
25 March 2022
3 April 2022
14 April 2022
23 April 2022
This trip can be tailor made for your perfect travel dates. Please make a booking enquiry for more information.
Follow in the footsteps of ancient civilizations on this fascinating 10 day tour through Sudan as we visit the capital Khartoum before crossing the Nubian desert in search of the lost pyramids and temples of the Nile Valley. Please request full details and we'll send you the complete itinerary!
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Services of a local tour leader throughout
- All sightseeing tours as per itinerary
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Visa invitation letter (required for most nationalities)
- International Flights (available on request)
- Arrival taxes
- Sudan visa fees (full details on application process provided)
- Travel Insurance
- Single room supplements (chargeable if a same-sex room share is not available)
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites, photo permits & local passport registration (EUR260, payable on arrival)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for tour leader & driver
- Any other items not mentioned above
The hotels and accommodations listed below are the ones we most often on this tour. From time to time the operator may exchange these for similar properties at the same level. In general, specific hotels cannot be guaranteed on this operator’s group tours, but you may select your preferred options if you are booking a tailor-made trip.
- Khartoum – Acropole Hotel (3*) – very friendly and helpful, good location in city centre
– upgrades available on request to the Holiday Villa (4*, quite dated but very pleasant hotel by the Nile), the Corinthia (5*, very nice)
- Meroe – Meroe Desert Camp
- Karima – Nubian Rest House
- Breakfasts – 9
- Lunches – 8
- Dinners – 6
Who is this trip for?
Anyone with an interest in history, archaeology, ancient cultures, beautiful desert scenery, and in exploring really special destinations that very few other people get to experience or visit.
You don’t need to be physically fit, beyond general walking for sightseeing purposes. The tour is not suitable for wheelchair users.
The section of this tour out of Khartoum operates in two directions on different dates – either starting with Meroe, or starting with Karima. The same sites and overnight stops are maintained, just in the opposite order. Please see the Dates & Prices notes for the direction that applies to your tour.
Detailed health and safety protocols, enhanced hygiene measures and reduced group sizes have been implemented during the Covid-19 pandemic.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.
Why Book with Another World Adventures?
Book direct with the tour operator. No mark-ups, no fees.
Save time by browsing our handpicked collection of the best adventure travel experiences.
Claim free travel gifts when you use our site to find your next trip.