Get to grips with Kazakh and Mongolian traditions as you ride in the company of the true nomads: the Kazakh Eagle Hunters.
Setting out into the sweeping steppe on horseback, you’ll enter the foothills of the Altai mountains deep in the heart of Altai Tavan Bogd National Park in Far-Western Mongolia, which shares borders with China and Russia.
Adopting the traditional way of life on this wilderness journey, you’ll develop your riding skills, covering varied and challenging terrain in the company of experienced Kazakh Eagle Hunters. By night, you’ll combine rustic wild camps with overnights at nomadic encampments. To conclude a successful journey, the expedition will end with a celebration at the Sagsai Eagle Festival to see first hand over 6,000 years of Kazakh culture and eagle hunting skills.
- Stark scenic beauty of Mongolia’s National Parks.
- Find companionship in your native Mongol horse.
- Ride with the locals – horse breeders and Kazakh Eagle Hunters.
- Diverse riding terrain; meadows, woods, open steppe and alpine passes.
- Traditional nomadic culture and hospitality.
- Learn key skills from your hosts and guides, passed down for generations.
- Try your hand at local horseback games.
- Fascinating Eagle Festival.
Why you'll love this adventure
- Explore the far reaches of Mongolia’s national parks
- An epic horseback adventure
- Perfect for solo travellers or groups of friends
This trip operator runs expeditions with framework itineraries, rather than guided tours with set daily plans. A fuller itinerary is provided in the handbook which is available on request or upon application to join the team.
• Trip operator expedition leader.
• local guides, support team and drivers.
• All meals.
• All transport as outlined in the itinerary including domestic flights and support vehicles.
• Mongolian horses suitable for a wide range of riding abilities.
• All camping and group equipment.
• All accommodation (twin share in Ulaanbaatar) including tents.
• All local permits.
• Trip operator Operations Room.
• International flights and taxes.
• Transfers from airport to hotel.
• Travel insurance (compulsory)
• Excess baggage on domestic flights.
• Tips to local guides.
• Beverages and any costs of a personal nature.
• Personal equipment (your Handbook will contain a kit list).
• Any activities, accommodation etc outside of the itinerary.
Who is this trip for?
Teammates must be prepared for the following.
- Ride: averaging 6 hours a day.
- Terrain: mixed terrain from forest trails to open steppe and alpine passes.
- Climate: temperatures ranging from 20C during the day to 0C at night.
- Altitude: generally around 2500m.
- Age: 21+
Upon application, prospective teammates will receive a Handbook with further expedition information. Teammates who arrive without meeting the agreed minimum fitness requirements can jeopardise themselves and the expedition’s goal so do take training seriously, prepare as appropriate and arrive fit and ready to go.
When it comes to getting off the beaten track these guys can’t be beaten. They lead pioneering expeditions to some of the most remote regions on earth. The organisers are dedicated to creating imaginative experiences for adventurers around the world and their team of expert military guides are some of the most experienced in the industry. Nowhere is off limits and no idea is too crazy. They have achieved ground breaking world firsts such as mountain biking in Afghanistan and mountaineering in Iraq and their first ever expeditions to walk across Madagascar and pioneer white water rafting in South Sudan both made the headlines…. and a bit of history.
Being wild and wacky is one thing but with their background as commanders in the British Army and experienced team of specialists in every kind of terrain and environment means that all of their adventures are thoroughly planned and the safety and security of teams is always their highest priority. Expeditions can be inherently risky, but they do everything possible to minimise potential hazards and for that, and the utterly extraordinary trips they put on, we salute them.
Mongolia: Ride into the Altai
Please complete the enquiry form above with as much detail as you can and we will send you all the trip information and connect you with the operator so you can make a booking directly.
If you have queries and questions about the trip include those in your form and we’ll personally reply to you within 24 hours.
Why Book with Another World Adventures?
Book direct with the tour operator. No mark-ups, no fees.
Save time by browsing our handpicked collection of the best adventure travel experiences.
Claim free travel gifts when you use our site to find your next trip.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.