Adventure sailing at it's best along the Atlantic coast of Morocco
An exciting sail down Morocco’s Atlantic coast. Far off the beaten track of most other yachts, this is real adventure sailing, with wonderful towns to explore and a huge dose of the unexpected every year.
You’ll have the possibility to sail to and explore Tangier, Rabat, El Jadida and Safi amongst other options. Finish with an exhilarating 24 hour offshore passage to the Canaries. This is a great route for those who like a little more time to explore ashore.
- Explore the pearl of the Atlantic, Madeira
- Discover the extraordinary Islas de Desertas
- 600nm of ocean sailing to the metropolis of Tangier
- Wander the souks and medinas of Morocco
- Sail under the iconic rock of Gibraltar
Why you'll love this adventure
- Perfect for solo travellers
- Plenty of time to explore ashore
- Enjoy wonderful open ocean sailing across to the Canaries
This is a typical sailing itinerary for this route. What makes an adventure holiday so special however is that there can be no fixed itinerary and no part of this is guaranteed. The wind and the weather ultimately shape what’s possible each day but everything is very flexible within that.
- Top quality foul weather clothing to keep you dry in any conditions
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market
- All on-board food and snacks
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors
- RYA sailing qualifications where applicable
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route
- Any meals you eat ashore
The yacht itself is an expedition yacht that was previously a round the world race boat. The accommodation on the yacht is comfortable, warm and spacious. Each bunk is 6′ 7″ long and has its own USB charger and light. Sleeping is in one 8 berth cabin. There are two toilets, a shower, hot water and lots of food!
We eat very well on board and we will take as much fresh fruit and veg as we can. Ocean sailing is an exercise in using food creatively but you can expert lovely warm meals, as much as you can eat, freshly baked bread and more. We can cater for most diets and have loads of veggies on board. If you have any severe allergies you must check with us before booking.
- The crew will always do their best to cater for any dietary requirements, allergies or food intolerance whenever possible.
- If you have severe allergies, it is likely that you will not be suitable to join the trip. Please contact us before booking.
- Yachts have small galleys (kitchens) and we may be cooking out at sea, heeled over and bouncing around a little bit, so we cannot accommodate fussy eaters.
- If there is anything in particular you require in your diet or would miss from home, we recommend that you bring these with you.
- This is particularly the case if you require gluten free bread / pasta or such like
- Most areas that we sail to now have a good range of vegetarian options in the supermarkets, but in more isolated areas it can be limited.
- We will always do our very best to look after you (some of our skippers are vegetarian or vegan) but please be aware that the diet on board may not be as varied as you are used to at home.
Who is this trip for?
- Mainly coastal sailing, stopping in a new place every day.
- Full crew involvement and training
- 90% join solo
- 50:50 male and female
- All ages welcome
- A mix of beginners and some experience
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to anyone aged 18 – 70 years. No previous sailing experience is required for this route.
FITNESS TO SAIL
We believe that as many people as possible should be able to head out to sea and have a great adventure. However, it is essential for everyone’s safety that you are in a fit enough state to be on board.
Ability to complete the five exercises is a pre-requisite for joining as a crew member.
Be able to lift 2 full bags of shopping five times, ten jumps with raised arms, stand on each leg for a minimum of five seconds, ten squats, ten step ups.
The exercises are not designed to be physically taxing and almost everyone should be able to complete them. Rather they are in place to check that you have the stability and basic physical condition to be on-board. If when you join the vessel the skipper believes you are not capable of completing these exercises, you will probably not be allowed to embark.
If you have any doubts at all about your ability to complete these exercises safely, you must contact your doctor before attempting them.
Four weeks before your trip start date, you will be sent final joining instructions by the operator. At this time you will be asked to complete the operator’s medical declaration.
At the time of booking, it is your responsibility to be sure that you will be able to pass all the criteria at the start date of your trip. If you cannot pass the criteria you will probably be refused permission to board.
- Inevitably, there are going to be worries with sea-sickness.
- It is not uncommon for about half the crew to feel a little funny on day one, but the vast majority of people are fine thereafter.
- We will give you all sorts of techniques to avoid it and there is a really good range of medications these days that all but prevent it.
- So it really isn’t something to worry about and before departure we will give you the guidance you need to avoid it.
Do I need Experience?
No previous sailing experience is required.
Do people come alone?
Almost everyone comes alone. Couples and groups are very welcome and we do get them. On the whole, however, most crew join solo and so if you are coming alone, you will be one of the crowd!
How many people are on board?
Except in exceptional circumstances, we limit the crew size to 9 plus two instructors. This means that there are enough people to sale the boat safely, but you will still have lots of time helming, navigating, trimming sails and such like.
Is this a sailing holiday?
Absolutely. First and foremost, we are here to ensure everyone has an amazing time. Sailing is bout having fun, experiencing nature at its most majestic and gently pushing yourself to try and learn new things. Voyages are a unique mix of sailing and training, and you will get far more involvement and training than on any other sailing holiday you may try!
Who else joins?
We have a remarkably similar group of people who join all our trips. They come from all around the world, are an even mix of men and women and with an average age of 35-65. As we said above, most come alone and experience varies from none at all to Yachtmaster. Most of the crew would describe themselves as having a rusty Day Skipper.
What insurance do I need?
All crew must have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
Please make an enquiry for this trip in order to get full details on insurance.
COVID-19 If I get Covid-19 prior to joining, will I be able to join the yacht?
As details regarding Covid-19 are changing so rapidly you should request full details for the trip which will include the operator’s policy on Covid-19.
We love this sailing company’s ethos – to help people do three things: sail, train and explore. They are passionate about enabling people to experience life out on the open ocean, building sailing skills and exploring some beautiful countries. After years of training people to become professional sailors, and having covered thousands of miles between them, the company Founders realised that so many people had dreamt of setting off across an ocean, but hadn’t the skills, the boat or crew to make those dreams come true.
The company now runs expeditions on a specialised 60’ yacht to some of the most exciting places out there – often largely inaccessible from land. With no previous sailing experience required, the two instructors will guide you every step of the way as you develop your sailing skills, maybe even earning an RYA qualification during the week. Exploring on land as they go is just as important and the bikes and a kayak mean you can head off and enjoy everything there is to see along the route.
Morocco Atlantic Coast Adventure Sailing Holiday
Please complete the enquiry form above with as much detail as you can and we will send you all the trip information and connect you with the operator so you can make a booking directly.
If you have queries and questions about the trip include those in your form and we’ll personally reply to you within 24 hours.
Why Book with Another World Adventures?
Book direct with the tour operator. No mark-ups, no fees.
Save time by browsing our handpicked collection of the best adventure travel experiences.
Claim free travel gifts when you use our site to find your next trip.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.