The aim of these two-night Adventure Academy weekends in Wales is to give you a taste of life on expedition from the kit and the food to the wild camping style and the physical challenge.
These weekends are run by professional trip leaders, full of tales of adventure from their recent expedition exploits in countries from Sierra Leone to Burma, and from Sinai to Madagascar.
The physical aims of the weekend are to trek to reach the summit of Pen y Fan, the highest peak in the Brecon Beacons National Park, and to packraft the picturesque waterways en route – plus one or two extra surprises.
If you want to push yourself in one of the UK’s premier wilderness areas, look no further. Set against the dramatic ridges, peaks and mountain lakes of the Brecon Beacons National Park, the weekends are challenging, memorable and spiced up with an element of the unknown, as this is the reality of life for the operator expedition teams as they explore some of the world’s wildest places.
Why you'll love this adventure
- Try packrafting, the new adventurer mode of transport!
- Wild camp in hammocks and scoff expedition foods
- Climb Pen Y Fan, abseil a waterfall and meet like-minded adventurous types.
This trip operator runs expeditions with framework itineraries, rather than guided tours with set daily plans. A fuller itinerary is provided in the handbook which is available on request or upon application to join the team.
- Professional trip operator expedition leader carrying full medical and communications kits.
- Tented/ hammock accommodation throughout.
- Any specialist equipment (ropes, helmets, packrafts).
- All food and soft drinks on Sat and Sun.
- Collection from Newport and transfer for the bunkhouse if needed.
- Food on Friday night.
- Personal equipment (full kit list in the Handbook).
This will be in a comfortable bunkhouse on the Friday night. On Saturday night you will wild camp near the Brecon Beacons either in hammocks or tents. The expedition ends on Sunday afternoon.
All food will be provided for Saturday and Sunday. Anyone arriving at the bunkhouse early (feel free to, there will be someone from the trip operator there to greet you and to have a pre-weekend pint) is welcome to buy dinner there. The food will involve packed lunch style fresh and packaged foods and snacks, plus dehydrated expedition foods. Give full details of any dietary requirements on your Application Form.
Who is this trip for?
Teammates must be comfortable with the following.
- Trek: up to 20km per day.
- Carry: up to 10kg per person in a rucksack.
- Terrain: contend with grassy, rocky and potentially steep terrain plus canals.
- Climate: this will depend on the time of year of your chosen weekend. It should never be too extreme and full details will be provided in your weekend Handbook.
- Kit: your Handbook will contain a full kit list. It will cover eventualities from pleasant days to full downpour as the weather in Wales can be variable at any time of year.
- Swim: as the weekend involves packrafting, you must be able to swim at least 100m. The waterways here are only a few feet deep so you don’t need to be a strong swimmer, but you need to be comfortable around water should you capsize (very unlikely indeed, but possible).
- Age: 21+
When it comes to getting off the beaten track these guys can’t be beaten. They lead pioneering expeditions to some of the most remote regions on earth. The organisers are dedicated to creating imaginative experiences for adventurers around the world and their team of expert military guides are some of the most experienced in the industry. Nowhere is off limits and no idea is too crazy. They have achieved ground breaking world firsts such as mountain biking in Afghanistan and mountaineering in Iraq and their first ever expeditions to walk across Madagascar and pioneer white water rafting in South Sudan both made the headlines…. and a bit of history.
Being wild and wacky is one thing but with their background as commanders in the British Army and experienced team of specialists in every kind of terrain and environment means that all of their adventures are thoroughly planned and the safety and security of teams is always their highest priority. Expeditions can be inherently risky, but they do everything possible to minimise potential hazards and for that, and the utterly extraordinary trips they put on, we salute them.
Wales: UK Expedition Weekend
Please complete the enquiry form above with as much detail as you can and we will send you all the trip information and connect you with the operator so you can make a booking directly.
If you have queries and questions about the trip include those in your form and we’ll personally reply to you within 24 hours.
Why Book with Another World Adventures?
Book direct with the tour operator. No mark-ups, no fees.
Save time by browsing our handpicked collection of the best adventure travel experiences.
Claim free travel gifts when you use our site to find your next trip.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.