Travel into one of the remotest corners of Southern Siberia to the Republic of Tuva along the border of Mongolia.
Discover wild Siberia on this cultural immersion into the Western Tuva region. Start out from Kyzyl, the geographical centre of Asia, where you’ll visit Russia’s earliest and most sacred piece of Tibetan architecture. Being the epicentre of traditional Tuvan culture you’ll have a chance to meet with nomadic pastoralists, master craftsmen, throat singers and musicians. The area is also replete with archaeological remains which you can explore, ranging from Scythian era burial mounds to standing stones and petroglyphs.
Trek and horse ride
The second half of the trip will see you venture into the backcountry on horseback for three days near to the border of the Altai Republic. During this time you’ll also have the chance to trek in the rugged range and subalpine lakes which feed into Western Tuva’s most fabled river, the Alash.
- Trek and horseback ride in the mountains of Western Tuva on the border of the Altai Republic.
- Visit nationally renowned local artisans specialising in ancient soapstone carving, blacksmithing and leatherworking in the impressive Bai-Taiga region.
- Meet master throat-singers and byzaanchy musicians.
- Visit the Ustuu-Khuree Temple – Russia’s earliest piece of Tibetan architecture.
- Seek out the Scythian-era Genghis Khan stone idol and the standing stones and petroglyphs near Bizhiktig Khaya village.
- Travel through the southern mountains and plains of the Republic of Khakassia.
- Experience the nomadic culture of Tuva.
Why you'll love this adventure
- Experience a true cultural immersion in a remote and rural region of southern Siberia
- Discover the backcountry on horseback for three days near to the border of the Altai Republic
- Camp for 2 beside the Khoolaash waterfall area from where you can freely hike, swim and fish
Maximum number of people: 10
Hiking & Trekking, Horse Riding, Mixed Activity
Style of Travel
Guided Group, Solo Traveller
1 July 2018
31 December 2019
This trip can be tailor made for your perfect travel dates. Please make a booking enquiry for more information.
Trek and horseback ride in the mountains of Western Tuva on the border of the Altai Republic, visit nationally renowned local artisans specialising in ancient soapstone carving, blacksmithing and leatherworking in the impressive Bai-Taiga region, seek out the Scythian-era Genghis Khan stone idol, ancient Turkic burial sites and the standing stones and petroglyphs near Bizhiktig Khaya village and then return from Western Tuva through the southern mountains and plains of the Republic of Khakassia.
Specialists in trips to Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, former Soviet Central Asia and the Caucasus, this operator aims to add positive benefit to the areas visited by ensuring that whenever possible, the money goose directly to the people of the region. In their words “”small scale tourism might not change the world but every path starts with a single step’.
The founders met as travel guides in the mountains of Afghanistan and bonded over a shared passion to enable other people to experience the beauty of Pakistan and Afghanistan, lands that are often described as dangerous and inhospitable.
Working with small groups of a maximum of 12 people and using specialist local guides throughout, their aim is to provide authentic and original experiences for all guests. This small number allows for greater security, flexibility and access to local people and places. Each set itinerary trip is individually designed to coincide with local events or to visit the area at the best time of year.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!
Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.
They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!
From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.