This Festival of Colours horse riding holiday provides a real taste of rural India in all its glory.
Ride through this fascinating region of India mounted on your unique Marwari horses on this Holi Festival of Colours horse riding holiday.
On this ride you can try your hand at turban tying over tea, lounge by a lake, mix in the multicoloured melee of the Holi festival, and fall in love with your Marwari horses along the way.
Starting at Udaipur, the lake city, you ride the Leopard Trail where, with luck, you will see these big cats roaming wild and free. Camp by beautiful lakes in Maharajah Shikar tents and then ride from Palace to Palace, culminating in a special Horse Heritage dinner at the horses ‘palace’ stables and join in Holi celebrations (Festival of Colours) with the ride family, staff and local friends, before heading on to explore the Blue city of Jodhpur.
Why you'll love this adventure
- Perfect for solo travellers, couples or small groups of friends
- Ride Marwari horses in their homeland
- Experience the colour and magic of the Holi festival
26 February 2023
10 March 2023
Celebrate Holi 'Festival of colours' whilst riding the Leopard Trail on the magnificent Marwari horses, travelling from Palace to Palace. 12 nights /13 days. The ride starts in Udaipur and ends at Jodhpur, both cities can be reached by internal flights from Mumbai or Delhi (International Airports), or by train or road.
Fixed date to coincide with Holi.
Join for the full 2 week ride or contact us to opt for just one of the weeks.
- Full Board.
- Mineral Water, and small selection of alcoholic drinks on the ride.
- Horses, grooms, saddlery and transport / care thereof.
- Ride leader: Dr Rao Ajeet Singh
- Internal transfers by road during the ride (Udaipur to Khumbhalgarh and Narlai to Jodhpur)
- Sightseeing tickets at Udaipur, Kumbhalgarh, Ranakpur and Jodhpur
- International and Internal flights
- Indian Visa costs
- Travel Insurance
- Items of a personal nature (laundry, shopping etc)
Hotels – 3* to 4* Heritage Boutique Palaces, Castles and Hotels. Full board.
Tents (camping) – Maharajah ‘Shikar’ style tents 14’x14′ that come fully equipped each with en suite bathroom containing a toilet, shower tray, wash basin and mirror (hot and cold water buckets provided) as well as beds complete with linen, pillow, quilts and towels.
Good mix of traditional Rajasthani meals as well as some western cuisine options at Hotels and in camp.
Breakfast: Omelette/eggs, cornflakes, porridge, toast, poha, puri, juice, chai (sweet spicy tea).
Lunch: rice, chapati, curried eggs/aubergene/peas, okra, chickpea, potato, boiled vegetables, pasta, chips. Local sweet Dessert. Juice, lemonade, soft drinks, beer, chai.
Dinner: As above but with addition of mutton or chicken according to local customs.
Who is this trip for?
- Solo’s, Couples, Friends, Families
- Horse Riding Ability*: Novice / Intermediate / Advanced / *riders should be confident in canter on open ground
- Rider Max Weight: 90kg / 200lbs / 14 stone
- Riding per day: 4-6 hours
- Distance covered per day: 25km – 35km
- Pace: Slow/Moderate/Fast – according to terrain and group riding ability.
- Riding Hat: We thoroughly recommend you wear a riding hat that meets current safety standards.
- Tack: Indian Sawar saddles, english bridles with smooth bits, saddle bags.
- Horses: Marwari breed, typically between 15 – 16hh of slight build.
Day: 25* – 30* C
Night: 14* – 20* C
- A small pocket torch or headlight.
- Electrolyte gel packets.
- Some people ride with a camelbak water back pack which they also put electrlytes in. (mineral water is provided)
- Riding Hat, Boots, Gloves (please no chunky-soled boots as they get stuck in the stirrups, standard boot styles should be fine)
- Check your hold baggage allowance as International and Internal allowances may be different (usually only 15kg on the internal flight and they will charge you if you are over)
- Compeed Blister patches (large heel size)
- Alcohol – if you have a favorite tipple then please pack it in your hold luggage carefully. We provide a limited selection on the ride.
- Duty Free – Do NOT buy alcohol in duty free airside because you are now not allowed to take it through to the internal flight at Delhi > Udaipur – they will confiscate it.
- Power Banks – these MUST be carried in your on board cabin baggage.
- European round 2 pin plug adapter
- 1 pack of Antibacterial wipes (for any loo seats etc)
- 1 pack of Wet Wipes (refreshing when its hot and dusty)
- 1 Antibacterial hand gel
- Sun cream – high factor recommended
- Wrap around sun glasses to ride in (check UV level)
What Kit should I bring?
- Riding Hat
- 2 x jodhpurs
- Riding boots
- Phone Chargers and adapters
- Basic first aid kit
- wash/bathroom bag
- antibac handgel
- wet wipes
- scarf, wrap or pashmina
- photocopy of passport and visa – keep somewhere different to the originals.
- Optional: camera, camelbak, credit/debit card
- The horses are Marwari breed, (desert horses) circa 15hh – 16hh high.
- Tack: Military ‘sawar’ saddles, english bridles and all horses have a pair of saddle bags.
- Seat savers/pads available should you need them.
- A complete first aid kit is carried by the guide at all times.
- Commercially bottled mineral water is put in your saddle bags every morning and lunchtime during the ride, and as required during your trip.
- India is a closed currency, which means you cannot buy rupees before you travel.
- It is recommended you bring £200 – £300 cash with you and change £25 on arrival in India at the airport and check the exchange rate on date of travel so you know what is a good rate. Generally airports do not give the best rates, it is better to change the majority of your cash at the hotels in Udaipur, Ranakpur, Narlai or Jodhpur.
- VISA is accepted at most shops and hotels, but not for exchanging money, only for buying or paying for goods.
- It is advisable to keep baggage to a minimum as it travels with you each day. On the ride your ‘main bag’ goes in the camp lorry and you will be reunited with it every evening – smaller ‘day bags’ go in the follow jeep and will be available to access during lunch.
- Cover your shoulders please, especially in the rural areas and be aware of low cut tops (wear a scarf if necessary).
- Ladies please ask if you want to change into shorts at lunchtime during the ride, as you may be near a farmers house or temple, where it would be frowned upon locally to show your legs.
- All hotels have free wifi (sometimes limited to the reception area) and network coverage is generally good in India,though there are some black holes during the ride.
- Tipping is the custom in India.
- In hotels – it is custom to tip the room boys 50 rupees per bag.
- On the ride – It is suggested a tip at the end of the ride, of 13,000 INR from each guest (ie £10 for each day of your holiday) – but ONLY if you have enjoyed it and you feel the grooms and tent boys deserve it!
- Please tip all together at the horse goodbye ceremony. A tip bag is passed round the guests the night before and the proceeds are split it into tentwalas / grooms / transport / logistics / kitchen & bar teams. This way those behind the scenes, are counted in as without them this trip would not function.
With over 10 years experience with Marwari horses and horse safaris in Rajasthan, this operator offers an exciting and informative horse safari experience, combining history, tradition and culture through our knowledge of the landscape, its people and, of course, its unique indigenous Marwari horses. With a true love for horses, an eye for detail and a zest for adventure, they offer truly memorable riding holidays.
Holi Festival of Colours Horse Riding Holiday
Please complete the enquiry form above with as much detail as you can and we will send you all the trip information and connect you with the operator so you can make a booking directly.
If you have queries and questions about the trip include those in your form and we’ll personally reply to you within 24 hours.
Why Book with Another World Adventures?
Book direct with the tour operator. No mark-ups, no fees.
Save time by browsing our handpicked collection of the best adventure travel experiences.
Claim free travel gifts when you use our site to find your next trip.
A most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable travel company!Very helpful and provided lots of research material and excellent personal perspectives on the tall ship sailing trip I was interested in taking.
Excellent thoughtful service.They were prompt and friendly, and so thorough and helpful in connecting me with my adventure.
One of a Kind Service!From the very beginning of reaching out to AWA, they were super helpful, enthusiastic and informative.